The third of a series of quick and easy wash cloths is complete. This project is worked in garter stitch, using increase and decrease techniques.
Using Paton’s Grace cotton yarn and US size 5 needles cast on 3 stitches.
- The first row, knit all three stitches.
- The second row, knit the first stitch, make one stitch (increase), knit the next stitch, make one stitch, then knit the last stitch. There are now five stitches.
- The third row, and all other odd rows, knit all stitches.
- The fourth row, and all other even rows, knit one stitch, make one, knit all stitches except the last in the row, make one, knit last stitch. There are now seven stitches.
- Continue working the increase pattern until you have 61 stitches, ending with an odd row. Pictured in green.
- Next knit the first stitch, slip slip knit (decrease), knit all stitches until three remain, knit two together by inserting the right needle into the left stitch of the pair, knit the last stitch. There are now 59 stitches.
- Knit all stitches in the next row.
- Continue working the decrease pattern until you have 5 stitches remaining. Pictured in brown.
- Slip slip knit, knit one stitch, knit two stitches together.
- Knit the last three stitches together, and pull yarn through the last stitch.
** Place a safety pin on the increase/decrease side of the wash cloth as a reminder**